VANADIUM REDOX FLOW BATTERIES
FOR LARGE SCALE ENERGY STORAGE
VSUN Energy creates safe and reliable renewable energy storage solutions using vanadium redox flow battery (VRFB) technology.
Vanadium redox flow batteries offer long duration energy storage and can provide smooth power delivery for over four hours.
The VRFB can stabilise grid supply through frequency control, smoothing and demand response.
Never worry about power outages again – VRFB energy storage guarantees uninterrupted power supply.
The VRFB is modular, so your solution will be tailor-made to meet your energy requirements, be it kilowatts or megawatts.
WHY USE THE VRFB FOR RENEWABLE ENERGY?
- An energy battery, able to store large amounts of energy for later use
- Easy to scale by adding modules or introducing larger electrolyte tanks
- Lifespan of over 20 years with no degradation in performance over time
- Non-flammable, making it safer than other batteries on the market
- Can switch between charge and discharge instantaneously
- 100% depth of discharge with no lifetime capacity loss
- The vanadium electrolyte can be reused indefinitely
HOW DOES THE VRFB WORK?
Vanadium redox flow batteries employ vanadium ions in different oxidation states to store chemical potential energy. To make a VRFB, vanadium pentoxide (V₂O₅) is processed into an electrolyte solution.
The electrolyte is stored in two tanks and pumped through electrochemical cells. Depending on the applied voltage, the energy sources are charged or discharged electrochemically.
The charge controller and inverter represent the interface to the electrical energy source and the user respectively.
The VRFB can switch between charge and discharge instantaneously and can cycle often and deeply, differentiating it from its solid state, lithium-based cousins. It can also be left completely discharged for long periods of time with no ill effects.